CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS ?

Friday, September 26, 2008

We Are Family

My sweet husband spent 20+ years active duty in the Army National Guard. When he retired, he looked for the perfect job and ended up working for MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station). He told me he hadn't realized how much he missed working with the military, and that MEPS was ideal because he could still experience the camaraderie associated with the military without having to be IN the military.

I have often heard of the brotherhood mentality of the military, but I've never witnessed or experienced it. Till now.

Jim met with the Major at his MEPS yesterday. The Major told him not to worry about having enough PTO, that Jim should take all the time he needs, his job isn't going anywhere. If he needs to take more than 4 weeks, he should take it. When he comes back to work, he's not to push himself unduly, but leave if he needs to. And the Major wanted to make sure that I have his number, the Master Chief's number, and Chief Poe's number and that I am to call them anytime, day or night, if we need anything, if there's anything the military can do for us.

I'm not sure why, but this really struck me, filled me with a sense of security and gratitude. He may be a broken down retired Staff Sergant, but in the eyes of the military he is still and will always be family. And the military takes care of its own.

0 comments: